As soon as you install and activate the Excerpts & Thumbnails add-on, two new sections will appear in the Settings section of WP RSS Aggregator.
The second is called Thumbnails. Here’s a look at the available settings:
As it states in it’s description, check this box to enable the thumbnail functionality brought in by the Excerpts & Thumbnails add-on.
Default thumbnail image
From here you can choose the image you’d like to use as the Default thumbnail image. You can choose one from your Media Library or upload any other image.
Thumbnail image width
From here you can set the width (in pixels) of the thumbnail image.
Thumbnail image height
From here you can set the height (in pixels) of the thumbnail image.
Link thumbnail to permalink
By checking this box you are linking the thumbnail to the feed item’s permalink. By doing this, when a user clicks on the image, they are immediately directed to the permalink in question.
When feed item has no thumbnail
If a feed item has no thumbnail you can choose what to do from here. Your options are to either use the Default thumbnail you set further up on this page, or to show no thumbnail whatsoever.
Image to use as thumbnail
This is where you decide which image you’re going to use as the thumbnail image. These are your options:
- Auto Detect – This uses the method used in the older versions of Excerpts & Thumbnails. It uses whichever image is found first by using the following methods, in this order:
- Image in <media:thumbnail> tag
- First image in excerpt
- Image in <enclosure> tag
- First image in excerpt – This option will use the first image it finds in the excerpt (if there are any) as the thumbnail image.
- Image in <media:thumbnail> tag – This option will use the image found within the <media:thumbnail> tag in the RSS feed, if there is one.
- Image in <enclosure> tag – This option will use the image found within the <enclosure> tag in the RSS feed, if there is one.
Default thumbnail image preview
Here you’ll be able to view a preview of the Default thumbnail image you selected further up on this page.